PatchCmr4Host

Utilities for game Colin McRae Rally 04
orcus

PatchCmr4Host

Post by orcus » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:29 pm

Code: Select all

Patching gamespy-masterbrowser info of CMR4.exe
-----------------------------------------------
Why and when should/could I patch my cmr4.exe??!!?

There are only two cases where it could help to have a patched version instead of
editing the %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts-file:

1) You are running other games than CMR4 which use the gamespy-masterbrowser:
Most/all other Games wont run online due to the modified hosts-file (which will force all
gamespy-related games to connect to Bartek's masterbrowser-replacement too)...
.. and I don't think that would work in other cases than for CMR4.... right now ;-)

2) Lazyness: if you repeatedly have to switch settings in the hosts-file, as you are
doing some debugging/researching on the gamespy-protocol and want to compare
network-traffic with the original MB...

If none of the above meets your needs - just stick with the hosts-file and don't use
the patch...

=====================================================================================
ONE FIRST WORD - Use at your own risk: The aur no guaranties, neither implied or
explicit, given that no harm to your computer or data will occure by using the
shellscript and/or OT_Patch.exe.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OT_Patch can be used free of charge for private use, (c) 2010..2012 by ORCUS GmbH
=====================================================================================

Unpack files and copy PatchCmr4Host.cmd and OT_Patch.exe to the folder where your
cmr4.exe is installed.

Run the shell-script PatchCmr4Host.cmd via double-click or by running it from a
command-window.

The shell-script will make a copy of cmr4.exe and name it cmr4PatchedHost.exe first.
In the next step cmr4PatchedHost.exe will be patched/modified (using OT_Patch.exe)
replacing the embedded gamespy-host-info with the static IP of the server where
barteks gamespy-emulator (master-browser) is running.

Running the patched cmr4PatchedHost.exe instead the original cmr4.exe makes editing
of the hosts-file obsolete.

Note: When running cmr4PatchedHost.exe for THE FIRST TIME you should - after selecting
to play a network-/internet-game switch back to the desktop (using [ALT]+[TAB]) as there
might be a message-box showing from the windows-firewall asking whether you want to
allow cmr4PatchedHost.exe connecting to the internet - just allow it and switch back
to cmr4PatchedHost.exe again ....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is no need to remove your original cmr4.exe - just keep it as a backup...

Using OT_Patch for other purposes...

By adjusting the used parameters (and the output-filename) of the shell-script other
versions with different static IP-addresses can be created.

To get information about the supported parameters just run OT_Patch.exe from
a command-window without parameters.

Advice: It's a bad idear to work/patch on original files - ALWAYS MAKE A COPY OF THE
ORIGINAL FILE AND PATCH THE COPY!!!

cu, orcus
Attachments
PatchCmr4Host.zip
(20.29 KiB) Downloaded 201 times
-------------------------------------
orcus - by the light of the night

Steve

Re: PatchCmr4Host

Post by Steve » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:23 am

This is great news, I'm really happy :) .... see you soon online and thank you very much for this big work :)
Steve

enzoeuler

Post by enzoeuler » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:29 pm

NICEEEE, I SEE PEOPLE PLAYING WITH GAMERANGER AND NO-GAMERANGER... i hope i can see 10 list of server in the game :P

orcus

Post by orcus » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:15 pm

Hi,

I fell I have point to out more clearly - the Gamespy-Emulator is Barteks work ...(period).
The above tool is just a little patch (in case one has to prefere not changing his local hosts-file) .... and so does not deserve the merits :) for Barteks work - o.k.?

cu online - orcus
-------------------------------------
orcus - by the light of the night

Steve

Post by Steve » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:33 pm

orcus wrote:Hi,

I fell I have point to out more clearly - the Gamespy-Emulator is Barteks work ...(period).
The above tool is just a little patch (in case one has to prefere not changing his local hosts-file) .... and so does not deserve the merits :) for Barteks work - o.k.?

cu online - orcus

Many thanks to Bartek then, and thanks to you for what you did Orcus .... really great job :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:05 pm

Hint for non winXP users.

If installed OS is not WindowsXp u may expect message like "Access Denied".
So if your system is vista..win7..8.0....8.1 in the first step u should to copy/paste cmr4.exe outside "Program Files" folder into folder like c:\aaa or Desktop\aaaa and then to perform patching.
To perform patching under vista..win7..8.0....8.1 u should run PatchCmr4Host.cmd with administrator rights (right mouse button on PatchCmr4Host.cmd -> run as administrator).
Once patching is done correctly the output file will be "cmr4PatchedHost.exe".
Copy/paste above "cmr4PatchedHost.exe" file into game folder and run it instead "cmr4.exe".